Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My fifth week of class

I cannot remember the last time I did something with such concentration. If you have been following my blog or just look at the timeline of events, you do not need me to tell you that this is a very slow process. I had my moments of thinking, "there is no way I will be able to do this," and now, I cannot imagine my daily routine any other way.
Here are the interiors of the bags. You can see where I attached the magnetic snap closure, with salpa behind it, for reinforcement. I will spare you the details (I know you are not all aspiring handbag designers, after all) but trust me when I tell you that there were many small details between the photos I posted last week and this one. You can also see on my "carta" handwritten notes. These are Italian words and phrases I pick up throughout my day. At the end of the week, I transcribe them into a small notebook I've been carrying around with me.
This is the container that holds the infamous "mastice," glue. Under the blue cap there is a brush that we use to paint the glue onto the pieces. Leave it to the Italians to invent something so specific to get a task done. I had no idea before this how much glue was actually involved in the process. Nearly every seam where you see stitching has glue underneath it. You would never know it, because we have to apply it ever-so-carefully, and then remove any spots where it is visible after the edges are sewn. I officially retired my old container, on the right, for my brand spankin new one. You have no idea how much easier this is going to make my life. Every day would start with me using the "solvente" because my glue was becoming very thick and sticky, since there were cracks in the old container. Ahh.. the little joys in life.
Making the straps took me an entire day to complete, which translates into 6 hours of work. I repeated the process I outlined when I made the "portapassaporto" cases, painting, polishing, and re-painting the edges. These measure 80cm in length (please, do not ask me in inches, I am officially on the Metric system). Just know it's long enough to fit comfortably over your shoulder.

At last, the final product, my very first (three) handbags. I did them in all different weights and thicknesses of leather to feel the difference in constructing and sewing: veg-tanned black, chrome-tanned black, and black suede.

No comments: