Monday, November 30, 2009

Feste a Firenze.

I love moments like this. I was literally running from one appointment to the next, and I could not resist stopping in my tracks to capture the beautiful tramonto (sunset) as it began to fall upon the early evening sky.
I also enjoy walking on streets I have never taken before because I find surprises around every corner. Most of the restaurants and workshops have metal gates over them, so you never know what is hiding behind it until you happen to be walking past during their opening hours. I kind of lost my way and then the Duomo appeared through the archway with another great backdrop of the evening sky.
This is the view from my window at school. I was leaning down to plug in my phone charger, and looked up - surprise! I had never seen it from this angle before.
The view from the courtyard of my school.
Firenze during the holidays. This is the approach to Piazza Repubblica from Via Corso. The busier pedestrian streets are strung with lights. It's not quite the same as the lights on Fifth Avenue and the surrounding areas in NYC, but it is charming in its own Florentine way. It is actually reminiscent of Little Italy. I will post more photos as I take them.. but the lights, like everything else Italian, seem to have a mind of their own. They are not illuminated daily. I have a feeling it might have something to do with the obscene electricity rates.
I spent Thanksgiving with American and Italian friends. Many of you were curious as to how they do it here so I took a photo to share with you. First course was a yellow squash soup, second course (pictured) was stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetables, stuffing and cranberry preserves, and dessert was pumpkin pie with a scoop of cinnamon gelato. It was delicious but... not quite the same. I will have the real thing when I come home as our version is waiting for me in the freezer (grazie mille, mom!)
Ben and Jerry's just appeared last week in the Piazza Duomo. I have mixed feelings about it being situated in the very center of Firenze, but I did not think twice before venturing out in the torrential rain to get a little scoop of home last night with my girlfriends. I love my Vivoli gelato but I also love Chunky Monkey (and the new Chocolate Macademia). I am not sure if it was my imagination or if the Italian version does taste a lot more like gelato. It could also just be because I was eating it inches away from the Duomo which by association will make just about anything taste more Italian.

In just a few weeks I will head back to NY for a visit. I will return to Firenze for New Years, and am moving into a new apartment and neighborhood in January. As you can tell, I have not had enough of this place yet... in fact I think I have just barely scratched the surface.

1 comment:

Karen and Sara Brown said...

that top photo is BEAUTIFUL!!!