Monday, June 8, 2009

Slow but steady progress.

These are my pattern pieces of sample number one. There are three versions of the pattern so far, as I have changed many things along the way. The strap was too long, then I decided it was too wide, and now I want to simplify the side of the bag and take out the seam I had running horizontally.
Reminder and disclosure: I am using scrap leather and this was the only one of which we had pieces large enough from which I could cut my pattern pieces. The closure on the side pictured above will allow you to open the bag and close it depending on how large you want it to be while you are carrying it, or how much you have inside.
file:///Users/amanda/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Originals/2009/18:mag:09/DSC06407.JPG
This will be my first hand sewn component. First I have to pass the piece through the machine, without using any thread, to create holes which I will later thread by hand. Then, I have to attach the piece to the bag with glue, and repuncture the holes with the puntorollo, passing through all of the layers of the bag. This creates a passageway for the needle and thread and will allow it to pass through with relative 
ease.
Almost everything changed from this point on. I did not like the shape of the yoke at the top, I did not like the thickness of the straps, I did not like the manner in which I executed the pieces. All of the pieces you see have "rimboco" which is wrapped edges. Then, the components are stitched down. This creates a lot of bulk and makes the bag very stiff, which I did not like. I worked with my teacher to change every component. I simplified the pattern, and decided to use the "tingere" technique. This is what you saw when I executed the "tracolla," shoulder strap. This is why I use scrap leather... and this is why you haven't heard from me in awhile. The process has been very time consuming. And.. I must admit, I have been traveling all over Italy during most of my spare time. But that's a post for another day...

No comments: