Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Modellismo

This might look like a boombox but it is actually the first mock up of my very first bag.
I have entered the modellismo stage of my program, patternmaking. My teacher worked with me to transform my idea from a drawing to a flat pattern with a series of points and measurements. From the flat pattern we created sample pieces in salpa, inserted a zipper, and made the first prototype pictured above. It's pretty simple, and you cannot really get much from the photos I've posted here, but when I will continue to post photos as I reach critical stages of the process so you can see my beautiful creation. It's all about the simple things: big enough bag, long enough straps, functional pockets, with the ability to expand depending on how much you are carrying. It is everything I look for in a daily bag, but have not managed to find in my entire lifetime. One comes close, but it's not leather. So here I am... making it for myself.
Don't get any funny ideas, I chose this leather because it was the only one that had large enough pieces to suit my needs. Since I will complete several prototypes before perfecting my pattern, I am using scrap leather so I can cut it and draw on it once I've stitched it together. I want long shoulder straps (this might actually be the most critical part of a bag for me personally) but realized they were too long, so I cut them, and re-configured their placement. 

Once I've made adjustments to the model I adjust the pattern pieces accordingly. I made two sets of patterns, "netto," which are the actual dimensions of the pieces, and "taglio," which are the pieces from which I cut the leather and other materials such as "salpa" and "gomma piuma" (foam). The "taglio" pattern pieces include an allowance around the edges, to account for areas where I will "rimbocare," wrap edges. The "netto" pattern already accounts for the normal stitching along the seams that will join the pieces.

I have received emails from many of you, thank you! I know I have slacked on my blog but for good reasons only: I have been very busy living my life here. I have been documenting it so I will share it all with you, slowly but surely. Piano, piano...

No comments: