Monday, January 26, 2009

Fiera del cioccolato



Welcome to my new backyard, Piazza Santa Croce. Saturday morning I went to get pane (bread) at the forno (bakery) next door to the apartment, and could not resist the temptation of the aroma of fresh hot chocolate that lured me in. I executed some self control and only bought a handful of albicocche (apricots) dipped in milk chocolate. Of course I went back Sunday, thankfully, with only 3 euro in my pocket. I had Sacher, a type of chocolate torte with apricot marmelade inside, and hot chocolate poured on top. Scrumptious. Of course it was massive (embarrassed to say about 6' square) and I licked the plate clean... and then balanced it out with a salad for dinner. 

The Italians don't mess around, but you don't need me to tell you this. Their version of a chocolate fair is a minimum of 50 of the best of the best chocolate experts from all around the country that come to show off their fine tuned delights. Thousands will gather to indulge on chocolate but most stop by for the free samples, which were plentiful. Thankfully, the fair ended yesterday... which trust me, is really for the better.

No comments: