Saturday, January 24, 2009

My classroom

I will spend 75% of my time in the chair you see above. The other 25% of my time will be spent standing in front of the chair, as I must stand to cut. We are 5 students in total and we all work around the same table. Uki sits across from me, she is from Indonesia. Tet is from Singapore and is the only male student. Rita, from Spain, is next to me when she is not doing her "stage" upstairs in the afternoons. Sandra sits next to her and is Portuguese but grew up in Switzerland. Finally, Miri is from China. Our "maestro" is from Japan. 
This is my workstation. Gluing is done directly on the "marma," marble, so it can be scraped off easily. Cutting is done on "carta," cardboard, so you can easily maneuver the pieces and so your knife edge doesn't get too blunt. The containers you see with blue tops are "mastice," glue, there is a brush hidden underneath the blue top which keeps it from drying out when you are not using it. There have been a few instances where I was gluing for 3 hours at a time, and ended up laughing uncontrollably, so already everyone laughs whenever they see me re-filling my "mastice." You can also see the handbag patterns hanging on the wall.

No comments: